Many Thanks to My Half of America

| Comments (6)

On Tuesday night, the members of my family vowed that we would  pay no attention to anything that happened politically for the next, oh, three-and-a-half years or so.  We would follow current events only superficially, but we would not discuss them, argue them, nothing.  As my son has observed repeatedly since, that vow lasted all of about six hours, and most of that was when we were asleep.

I also toyed in those first hours with the idea of abandoning this website, an idea immediately opposed by my near and dear, and it is in that spirit I want to thank those readers who, perhaps reading my mind, have shared with me their own words of encouragement in the wake of election day 2012.  As representatives of the half of America that remembers the last great hope, we need to stick together, and I offer the same words of encouragement back to you.

By the same token, to those who have taken this opportunity to hurl their oh-so-clever insults and slurs at us….we’re used to being battered by those who must resort to namecalling and talking points in the absence of cogent arguments to fortify their support of certain candidates and policies and free goodies.  And to the reader who scolded me, who accused me of wanting to take the country back to the 1950s, who urged me to get with the program….well, while I do confess to an affinity for mid-century retro styles in fashion, design and pop culture, my choice would actually be a trip back, not to the 50s, but to the late 18th century.  What a gift it would be to meet the men and women, armed with their deep sense of liberty and tyranny, who created this once-great nation and drafted the shattering documents that would provide its blueprint.  So, no, sorry, I won’t be getting with any program mandated by the other half of America.  No bandwagons for me, including those being heralded right now by the republican party.  As many of us have said over the last few days about the Tuesday bloodbath, it is what it is — a loss to our family.  We are who we are, and we will mourn that loss, but we won’t change who we are.

So again, many thanks to those who share my sense of loss and my allegiance to half of America.  We’ll see where it all goes from here.

6 Comments

1. redridinghood
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

We are so screwed. I celebrated the day after the election by going to Cabela’s and buying more ammo and arrows.

2. aPLWBinAK
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

Don’t abandon your website Dear, you’re too skilled a writer, and a good representative of the good have of our (once) great Republic…besides, I just found it 3 days ago, and like it. Don’t go away :( I hope to hear about the time(s) you spent in the state that is so dear to my heart, Alaska. We’re all shellshocked, and regrouping, rethinking things etc… Be well, and keep your good writing coming… http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hFPhGye9Nzo/UJiXHvLKMPI/AAAAAAAAR8A/tl7kNwQxz84/s640/263945_1800371084361_2420511_n.jpg

3. Betsy Siino
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Thank you. You made my day. And no, I’m not leaving. We all have to stay loyal to our half of America. Thanks again!

4. Janice
    Posted November 10, 2012 at 9:23 am | Permalink

Ronald Reagan emerged as Governor of California not long after America decisively voted against the Republican Party when Goldwater lost to Johnson.
    Of course, he then went on to become a very successful President. New ideas of conservatism were being defined and America embraced it. Its happened before, it will happen again.
    We will save America with conservatism NOT changing our morals, values and ideology to “fit in” with the democrats for more votes. Quite the opposite!
    Educating these voters is the key.
    Game on!

Cabela’s is great!

5. Betsy Siino
    Posted November 10, 2012 at 10:57 am | Permalink

I was hoping that this election cycle would be the Reaganesque moment indicating that this nation had been slapped to its senses, but I was wrong. Half of us were wrong. Looks like we’re going to have wait even longer, as painful as that will be. Thanks for remaining so positive and energized. Oh and I would guess that Cabela’s is busier now than it’s ever been!

6. SisterBear
    Posted November 12, 2012 at 11:37 pm | Permalink

I am so glad you’ve decided not to give up on your blog. It’s so important that we have writers like you educating people and also giving encouragement to conservatives that like us who sometimes feel completely alone in their values and love for this great country. Someone has to be the voice that echoes our founding fathers and all the men and women that fought and bled for this country. People like Rush Limbaugh and Mark Levin can’t be left alone to fight our battles.